Sunday, March 1, 2009

Still Having Trouble Sleeping

I experience sleeping difficulties almost every fortnight but I do not take medications for it. I was tossing and turning all night on Monday. I was already expecting the worse by the time I got myself ready for bed on Tuesday. The second night after a sleepless night is usually worse. I wasn’t just tossing and turning but I was also getting up every two hours or so. To make matters worse, I had different dreams each time I managed to fall asleep. Anyone experiencing my kind of dreams will know how exhausting some of them can be.

At 4:50ish on Wednesday morning I got up and sat on the bed trying to decide whether to go back to sleep or just stay up to read. I looked out of the window and saw a Taxi downstairs and a half drunken bloke staggering out. After going to the loo, I sat to look at the front cover of my Guinea Pig’s photo book. Seeing him is calming. I did try to read a book after that but found it hard to keep my eyes open for long and was fast asleep within minutes. This time though, I was accompanied by a wonderful dream starring none other than my beloved Guinea Pig, of course. M played a minor role as well.

Here I am again describing another dream featuring our dear friend. In the dream, I lowered the Guinea Pig’s cage to the floor and told M to let him out for a little run. The Guinea Pig had been pretty restless, running around in his cage. I attempted to pick him up and he ran away from me to hide under the hay. When I tried to pick him up again, I noticed another pair of eyes looking at me. This second Guinea Pig was smaller, looked scruffier and shared the same colours as my little friend. M saw the shock on my face and asked, “What? Have you forgotten that you insisted on buying another Guinea Pig last week?” I looked at him, suddenly remembering that I apparently bought a little Guinea Pig from a pet shop at Melbourne Central. LOL. Suddenly I could see that M was secretly wondering if I had been neglecting the newbie.

Seeing that I failed to pick either Guinea Pig up, M came over to help. He let them both run wild in the living room. (In reality, our dear little Guinea Pig played within a fenced up area.) Coincidentally, as mentioned in a previous dream, the balcony doors were left wide open. Soon we had trouble monitoring both of them because they didn’t stay together. M tried to pick up the newbie and it bit him on the finger and darted away. He was then seen running down the hallway, towards the spare room before we were briefly interrupted by a neighbour at the door asking for some foam to make artificial flowers. (Well, I think I did reveal recently that my dreams can be quite weird.) Meanwhile, our original Guinea Pig was already rummaging through all the junk in the spare room. As soon as the neighbour left, we took action to spoil the little cheeky piggies’ fun. The newbie was chewing the vacuum cleaner cord but M went for our Guinea Pig who was chewing on some paper first. After returning him to the cage, he came back for the newbie who had then found something else to chew in the almost inaccessible room. The dream ended when both piggies were safely returned to the cage.

That new piggy seemed quite a handful! Luckily we are not in a hurry to get ourselves another Guinea Pig. I am still trying to get over the loss of our first furry friend. We will definitely keep Guinea Pigs again one day but it will not happen until we get ourselves a property where pets can be lovingly buried upon their deaths. To us, pets are like family members. They are loved in life and should be treated with dignity when they pass away. Although I will never know if my beloved Guinea Pig’s ashes are really in the urn, I am content to see him popping up in my dreams from time to time.

No comments: