Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Emotional Roller Coaster

As I waited for a Google search result on Sunday night, a thought suddenly came to me. I call it a thought and not a voice I heard because it didn’t sound like someone was talking to me. It was more like thinking. So, I was thinking about my Guinea Pig’s body when I suddenly thought about how it had done its job serving him when he was alive. I thought about how it doesn’t matter if he was cremated or dumped. What matters is that we did treat his passing with respect and that he will always have a secure home in our hearts. I almost instantly felt a wave of calmness right after these thoughts. It didn’t last long. I brushed those thoughts aside thinking that I must have been looking for excuses.

Since the story was aired on Today Tonight on the 1st of August, I have read other pet lovers’ reactions as well as one newspaper article on Pets at Peace online. Apparently, the animals that were found dumped were picked up for disposal and not animals booked for cremation. The animals fell out because of a faulty door. I would really like to know when exactly the animals fell out of the van. I would like to know the dates of the two occasions. I can’t help wondering if our Guinea Pig travelled in the same trip as these animals. Something the driver told me on the day when ‘his’ ashes were returned is worrying me.

If the Pets at Peace people are honest all along and are definitely sure that no animals destined for cremation were dumped, I feel bad for them. From the newspaper article, the owner is distraught because his business is now totally ruined. I will still feel bad for them even if he admits wrong doing. This is because I know first hand what it is like to start a new life in a new community and I also know first hand what it is like to not be part of the ‘norm’. While I may sound forgiving, I am not the type that subscribe to ‘Forgive & Forget’. Forgiving takes time but forgetting will be impossible. People with my type of memory will never forget such events.

No comments: