Monday, September 28, 2009

A Bit of Lion Dance to Cheer Me Up

It was like we didn't have enough of Fed Square that we went back again yesterday. M got wind that there was going to be a Chinese Festival there but because I didn't hear anything about it, I suspected that the event was put up by a cult. I didn't really want to go but went along anyway. M was warned that if the event was clearly put up by a particular group of people that we do not agree with, we will leave immediately. The weather was still cold and wet. I didn't really mind Winter re-visiting us in Spring because it gave me another chance to wear my Duffle Coat.

It turned out that the festival was set up by The Federation of Chinese Associations. We were only there for a few minutes before it started to rain again. During the time we were there, no one came along to hand us pamphlets about crimes against humanity or community papers. I was glad that I wasn't asked if I was Chinese. Sometimes I feel like to answer back to such questions with, "Sorry, no, I am Greek." A very old Greek lady did however asked if I was Greek once though. LOL

I find the Green & Gold scarves decorating the cymbals a bit CHEESY!

I will spare everyone from even more photos of the Chinese Lions by just posting one. I can't help it. I just love them.

Just another little note about something else that happened that cheered me up a little yesterday. A Malay bloke came up to me and asked me for directions on how to get to the Holiday Inn from Swanston Street. I was eager to help since I don't get many opportunities like this because most people probably think that I am a clueless newcomer or do not speak a word of English. The man and his wife took my word for it and didn't even verify my info with someone genuine like M but then again M was somewhere else at the time. I later reanalyze the little experience and figured that I only made one lousy mistake. When I was pointing out the directions to him on his little map, I used my index finger instead of my thumb. Apparently they use their thumb to be polite.

No comments: