Friday, June 27, 2008

A New Backpack!

The zippers on my old backpack broke beyond repair a couple of weeks ago. The double zippers in the main compartment first gave way last year. This meant that I was unable to zip up one way and had to use the second zip to go the other way. But even that zip is no longer working now. So, after 8 long years of service, we had to look for a new one.

There are a few places on Elizabeth Street selling camping goods and we went to have a look last Saturday. I set out wanting another Caribee but didn’t find a robust one within my price range. The last store we visited was Mitchells Adventure. On their wall of backpacks, we saw two that we both seemed to like but I wasn’t sure because we had never used Black Wolf brand before. I have a tendency to be loyal to a certain brand if I find the product durable/reliable. After a few minutes of contemplation outside the store, we returned to try out the two. Help was needed to get them down because they were hung right at the top. I tried the one I liked most first but it was way too big. Besides, the high number of compartments will make it a nightmare for us when we go shopping. Imagine unzipping each compartment for shop attendants & doorkeepers to check. That will be quite a hassle. The second option fitted me perfectly. It also looked quite good on M. It is important that it fits the both of us because M helps to carry when we buy heavier items.

The feature that I like most about our new daypack is that it is made with Ripstop material. I don’t know why but I really love Ripstop. Another thing I like about it is that it is the same price as my old Caribee. Even though it is 5 cents short of $50, it has plenty of useful features that the old one never had. The sternum straps and the waist straps are all removable but the side compression straps aren’t. These straps are all kinda scary to me. Remember the kid who was run over by a tram because it clipped one of these straps on his backpack as he was riding past? (The kid survived.) I sometimes worry that these straps may get entangled with something as I try to get off a tram. Imagine getting dragged by the tram!

Two days after purchasing the daypack, I sat on my couch admiring it, getting to know it and discovered a built in raincover hidden inside a pocket right at the bottom. Even though we probably won’t ever use the raincover, it was a pleasant surprise because I never had one with such a feature before. It is good that it is removable as well. My only disappointment from this discovery is the zipper for the raincover pocket. Because it is situated right at the bottom, I fear that it may get damaged when we regularly place the daypack on the ground when we are out and about. I guess we will just have to be more careful.

Just as I hope that the shopper trolley I blogged about recently will last a long time, I hope too that this new daypack will last at least 6 years. Yes, I do have high expectations. The old Caribee lasted a little over 8 years. The shopkeeper who sold me the new daypack mentioned the waterproof zippers on the two front pockets. I instantly thought they were neat but because I never used such zippers before, I wonder if they are durable. We will find out sooner or later. Both the daypack/backpack and the shopper trolley have an important job in helping us to continue shopping efficiently on foot and/or via public transport. Since we started walking everywhere, we realised that there is no need to drive to the milk bar, local markets and supermarkets. Sure, being driven or driving around in a car look cool to many people but at my age, I am needing less and less strangers’ approval and admiration to feel good. Walking is surprisingly enjoyable. I absolutely love the opportunity to have a chinwag with M along the way. All the extra walking could also be beneficial to our health as well.

No comments: