Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Grass Roots Magazine Found

I mentioned reading a magazine called Grass Roots at the State Library on Mothers Day. I actually enjoyed it very much and have been looking to buy the latest issue. If anyone is looking for a copy of this magazine, I suggest you go look for it at McGills. That’s where I bought mine.

Since the magazine comes out once every two months, I have to ration my reading so that I don’t run out too soon. So far, I have enjoyed reading about living on an island, building a mudbrick home, keeping Boran cattle and collecting free stuff.

My favourite article so far is the one on island living. When I was little, my mum would occasionally tease that I am better off living on an island on my own. On many occasions when I visited my dad’s office, I would look out his window to survey the sea to see which island I would like to buy someday. I always picked the small one closest to the shore and my dad would pretend to discourage me because that island is apparently full of sea snakes.

At just $5.95 per issue, the magazine is not only fun to read but affordable as well. It offers city slickers like me glimpses of what a greener lifestyle and self sufficiency are about. Although I would like to, I can never see us setting up home in a country town or rural setting. Two centuries of peace may be ruined by the presence of someone like me. LOL. However, this magazine still has a lot to offer those of us who are cooped up in concrete pigeon holes. While my balcony is definitely not big enough to keep a miniature cow, it is potentially large enough for me to begin growing my own herbs and some vegetables. That could be our start to a little bit of Self Sufficiency.

No comments: