Thursday, April 23, 2009

Getting Things Done

There have been a number of things bugging me of late and one way to get by is to keep myself totally occupied. A day after the little shopping spree last week, I began to mend things that have been waiting patiently for me to tackle since the beginning of the year. I mended two pairs of pants, a shirt, a pair of shorts and my footstool. Living in a throw-away society, it is easy to just chuck them all out and get new replacements but the mending process wasn’t that troublesome after all. It was easy peasy. Now that the footstool cover is fixed, I can put my feet up again when I watch TV. Hooray!

Another thing on the to-do list that we have been ignoring was our ‘shed’ or storage unit. We moved into the new unit in January and planned to return within weeks to properly sort our ‘junk’. At first we postponed the chore by blaming it on the hot weather – that’s justifiable. Then we postponed it simply because we had other fun things to do – pure laziness. So when M came home from his parents’ on Easter Sunday and announced that we should sort out the storage unit, I agreed wholeheartedly because I was sick of being lazy. We reluctantly went last Friday (17/04). OK, I admit it. There was a bit of bribing involved. Again, we were surprised that it took us only two and a half hours to restack everything systematically. M also got to re-organize his collectibles. It was wonderful to see how much extra space we have after we stored and stacked everything properly. We were very pleased with our efforts.

It feels so good to get things done. Now I don’t feel guilty like whenever I see the pile of clothes and footstool waiting to be repaired and when I think about our storage unit. They were all done. Even my Guinea Pig’s pouch is now made and almost ready to do its duty. I just need to put it in the wash to get rid of some marks (made with water-soluble pens) first. I think the next thing to tackle is the kitchen cupboard, particularly the big one under the sink. I want to completely re-organize it to improve its storage capability. This means that we are in for a trip to IKEA. Hooray!

No comments: