Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Almost Featherless Cockatoo

I had wanted to continue reading a Montessori book but I just can’t concentrate. I just can’t stop thinking about a poorly burnt cockatoo that I saw on TV. The poor thing has almost no feathers left but it is alive and walking around. I think the footage was shot after he was given medical attention by kind hearted vets. Some vets are offering free service to treat animals injured during the inferno. I hope the cockatoo will live on and cared for by kind hearted people. Other animals were also featured during the same news segment. A little pony by the name of Boots had a burnt muzzle and singed mane. The vet gave him a drip. He just stood there without making a big fuss.

This great fire tragedy is just so heartbreaking. The human death toll just keeps climbing up and up. The morgue (situated right behind our building, believe it or not?) is completely packed with 101 bodies. I remember when Thailand struggled with the number of bodies after the 2004 Tsunami and now the Melbourne morgue is reportedly already in full capacity and an extra temporary morgue have to be erected.

On a happier note, I did come across a very cute photo on the internet that cheers me up every time I look at it. It is a picture of a Koala skinny dipping in a basin of water. According to a blog I read, some people apparently offered the Koala a drink of water but it ended up taking a bath in the plastic basin. Because I do not know the original owner of the picture, I decided to not have it posted here in my blog without permission. The picture is very cute though.

No comments: