Thursday, January 14, 2010

Useful Scraps II

Despite plenty of chores waiting for me, I chose to make my favourite book a cover on Sunday. It was quite warm that day and thus I didn’t want to do anything too stressful. The book was bought when it was first published back in 2005. So it has a hard cover and a dust jacket making it very hard for me to read without damaging the dust jacket. This is why I prefer books with soft covers because it is easier to protect them by covering each with Contact. I have begun to read this book from cover to cover again for a second time and I now leave the dust jacket sitting in the book case while I am at it but without the dust jacket, I worried that the light blue hard covers might become grubby over time. So, I set out to make it a washable cover. The floral print drill is from my growing pile of fabric scraps and the fabric’s colours turned out to match the book’s covers quite well. Do you think I am happy with how the cover turned out? Well, not really. It does serve its purpose but I think if I do make another one in the future and if I use an outer fabric like drill again, I will make sure that the inner fabric (lining) is made of something lighter to make the turning easier. I am not too satisfied with how the corners turned out and I am pretty sure that is because there is too much bulk within for each corner to turn out nicely. Yeah, I know that I can be fussy.
-

The book’s new jacket is also useful in hiding its identity. For fear of being judged, I never felt comfortable reading this book in public like when I am stuck with nothing to look at inside a super packed tram. This doesn’t happen very often because I try to avoid taking public transport but it does. One word in the book’s long title is bugging me. I know for a fact that another word (also starts with the letter ‘G’) with a similar meaning to this word bugs other people out there.

2 comments:

achan said...

I love the fabric it is so vibrant-reminds me of summer!!! My hubby throws the dust jackets in the bin!!! and I get angry.

Hope you are surviving the hot weather

Priscilla said...

I quite like the fabric too. I made a little pinafore for a little girl using this material ages ago.

The hot spell is gone and I have a feeling that Sunday will be quite cool.