Sunday, December 7, 2008

7 Months On…


I tried not thinking about today all week. I don’t really want to face up to the fact that my Guinea Pig left us for 7 months already. Yesterday, M requested that we go somewhere different today. Somewhere different meant going somewhere not located within the CBD. We ended up going to Malvern because I wanted to go to the Spotlight store there. It was only when we got there that we learned that the store has been relocated to Carnegie. Bummer!

At the Target store inside Malvern Plaza, we came across a children’s book that consists of a number of well known picture books featuring animals. One of the stories included was “I Love Guinea-Pigs” by Dick King-Smith. We already have a copy of that particular picture book at home. I have been avoiding books on Guinea Pigs in our own collection since he left us. I just felt uncomfortable.

After a phone call to my dad this evening, I dug out the picture book to read it again and I really liked what the author wrote at the end. The author wrote about not being sad of his Guinea Pigs’ departure and was simply happy to remember the pleasure he had gained from all of his Guinea Pigs. The author’s two favourite Guinea Pigs are resting peacefully under an apple tree. They are remembered every time he enjoys the view of the tree. When I sent my Guinea Pig away for cremation, I had intended to remember him by having his ashes in an urn nearby. All that has gone on or didn’t go on has made it so very hard for me to remember him properly. Now, I really know what it feels like to not know exactly where one’s loved ones final resting place is even, though this particular loved one is not human. I probably have already mentioned this before but that’s really how I feel. Fortunately though, getting through each day is getting easier. We, I in particular, are still talking about my Guinea Pig everyday. Qukes are in season again and we saw them at Safeway yesterday. I bet if he could write, our Guinea Pig would have added that to our shopping lists in the past. Little things like Qukes still remind me of him but I was surprised that I handled myself pretty well.

We have ordered a star shaped porcelain Christmas ornament with a picture of our Guinea Pig a little over a week ago. It’s due to be picked up on the 15th. We ordered this one at Harvey Norman hoping that it will be ready on time. If it turns out beautiful, I will take a photo of it and post it here.

No comments: