Sunday, July 26, 2009

Feeling Mean Sometimes

No, this post has nothing to do with regret over what I said about M earlier this month. This post is about my Guinea Pig. By the end of the 3rd quarter of the Carlton/Collingwood match on Friday, I was pretty sure that the chances were slim for Carlton to make a major comeback. My mind wandered off when I laid eyes on the beautiful picture of our Guinea Pig. I feel like a mean pet-keeper every now and then because I think that my decision to keep him was a selfish one. From the day we bought him in 2003, he became our friend and for years I thought he would be content to just have us because we showered him with so much love. I sometimes wonder where his siblings/cage mates are now. Did they have a good life? Are any of them still around? I also wonder if our Guinea Pig missed the companionship of another cavy friend and whether we had ruined him for not buying another one. I only learned the importance of keeping at least a pair when our Guinea Pig was a little older. By then, we were told that an older male Guinea Pig may not accept another same-sex companion. I also read somewhere that it was OK to keep a single Guinea Pig provided that we showered it with heaps of attention and care. That’s exactly what we did with our little friend. He was literally smothered with LOVE. Even so, that still didn’t stop me from wondering if we have been mean to him.

My Guinea Pig popped up in my dream again recently. In the dream, M and I had separated. He had moved into a flat and for some reasons, I was visiting his place one afternoon. As I approached his building, I noticed an American style letter box next to a block of identical letter boxes. The metal flag on the American style letter box was up, indicating that it has mail. I was curious to check out this all so American object. When I got the letter box door open, out came my Guinea Pig! Well, I think he was my Guinea Pig except that his colour markings were slightly different. I was somewhat annoyed that M had decided to keep him in a letter box. LOL.

No comments: