Monday, July 20, 2009

Camping In The Cave

We have been sleeping in the ‘Cave’ (the spare bedroom) since last Wednesday. Although I have never been camping before, our temporary sleeping arrangement is probably similar to it except that we are not confined inside a tent. The first few nights of sleeping on a mattress on the floor were more uncomfortable than I had expected. M adapted much sooner than me! I grew up sleeping on a latex mattress and when I was around 4/5, I started using a latex pillow as well. Other than hotel stays, I didn’t have my own spring mattress until I came to Australia but when it comes to pillows, I still prefer latex ones to this day. Even M prefers latex pillows now. LOL.

Unable to fall asleep easily, I had been wondering about other people’s sleeping arrangement these last few days. A cousin of mine still prefers to sleep on top of a straw mat placed above a sheet of plywood. The piece of plywood sits above the bed slats. He is not poverty stricken and he is not in jail. He does live in a remote part of the world but most people around him have pretty much upgraded to proper mattresses since the 60’s or 70’s. I have also been wondering about the thickness of the futons used in Japan. They must not have been very thick if a child’s futon can be washed in coin operated washing machines at a Laundromat. When my brother was in his late teens, right through to when he was in his 30’s, he used to sleep on a latex mattress on the floor. I, at the time, assumed that he did it because he thought the idea was cool. We have also hosted a student who preferred his spring mattress on the floor too.

Funnily, I slept pretty well last night but that could be because I was totally exhausted. I wonder if I will miss our current sleeping arrangement when we eventually move back to our freshly painted bedroom.

No comments: