Sunday, September 7, 2008

An Unusual Experience

I can’t exactly remember what time it was when this happened but it was Thursday night. Was it before or after Cranford (on UKTV)? Anyway, I had taken off my socks and slippers and was on the balcony looking at the few stars, the clouds and the lights above Eureka - this is something I do almost nightly. As I was looking at these four stars above my head, I felt something small standing next to my right. I looked down but there was nothing there of course. The feeling though was like I was looking at the stars with my little friend. For a split second, I even felt the warm sensation of his fur on my right foot. It felt like the fur around his neck and upper chest area. It was such a bizarre experience that I fled inside. It wasn’t M playing a trick on me. He was at the computer reading a message board. I sat down on my side of the couch and told him what just happened as I stared at my Guinea Pig’s photo. I don’t want to admit it but he (my Guinea Pig) suddenly looked sweeter than ever. M turned around and said, “See. I told you that he is still with us.”

I didn’t really want to post this for all to see. I don’t want people to think that this lonely 30 something year old should quit day-dreaming about her dead Guinea Pig. It wasn’t a day-dreaming episode. All I can say is that it was an unusual experience. Although I was somewhat surprised by what had occurred, there was also a feeling of calm. As a result, I had a good night sleep and a productive Friday. Today marks 4 months since our little friend left us. M absolutely believes that we have our Guinea Pig’s ashes in the little urn whilst I, on the other hand am not quite sure. One thing I am absolutely sure is that it will take me ages to get over the fact that I arranged the wrong final journey for him. From the moment I selfishly bought him as a present for my birthday, I had wanted to give him the best and yet I failed him right at the end.

No comments: