Monday, June 16, 2008

Slow Switch to Energy Saving Light Bulbs

Way back in 2005, we came across energy saving light bulbs that fitted into our ceiling light in the living room. That ceiling light takes 3 candle shape light bulbs but they have to be changed quite regularly because of high usage. So we bought 3 of those energy saving light bulbs right away, thinking that we won’t need to change the bulbs again for a while and that we were doing the environment a bit of good at the same time. Within minutes of installing the new light bulbs, I noticed a faint sound emitting from above my head. I was sitting on the couch right under the ceiling light and tried to dismiss it at first. After a while, even M was hearing the increasingly annoying sound from the other corner of the living room. The sound is rather similar to that emitted by mosquitoes except that it was flat. How can I better describe this? It was like 3 mosquitoes hovering precisely on the same spot making the noise they normally would. Does that make sense? Do mosquitoes make noises or am I the only one hearing it? LOL.

Anyway, we gave up after a couple of days and returned to using traditional light bulbs again. Occasionally when I feel guilty for not doing my part in saving the environment, M would be told to reinstall those noisy energy saving light bulbs but these stints never lasted long because the noise is just so annoying.

On the Sunday after my precious Guinea Pig’s passing (Mother’s Day), I went ‘hiding’ at the State Library. I just needed to get out of the apartment while M went home to his parents. There I came across a magazine called Grassroots, I think. It’s one of those tree hugging type publications. Surprisingly though, I actually enjoyed reading almost the whole issue. I have been looking to buy an issue ever since but no one seems to stock it. It might be available at McGill’s. They have a large range of magazines there. Through my search, I found another similar magazine called Renew, I think, at the City Library.

Anyway (this is the second time that I started a paragraph with this word), the reason that I am bringing up these magazines is because the articles on energy saving light bulbs renewed my interest in using them again. After M came to pick me up from the State Library, we went over to Safeway to have a look at their range of light bulbs. Our options were limited as expected because our ceiling light requires light bulbs with slim cap fittings and most energy saving light bulbs have fat cap fittings. There was really just one choice: Philips Ambiance (as pictured). The type that we bought in 2005 was no longer available and instead of buying three at once, we were a little more cautious this time. We bought only one to try out first. This was also partially because only one light bulb out of three was blown at the time.

The Verdict: We are truly happy with this little light bulb. It lights up slower than the traditional light bulbs but once it is fully on, there is little difference between it and the other two. We had our fingers crossed when we first installed it because we were worried that it might emit the same annoying noise but it hasn’t! We will eventually replace the other two light bulbs with Philips Ambience Energy Savers as well. As for the rest of the house, we planned to also gradually switch over to energy saving light bulbs. I think this will not only be a greener option but it may slash our power bill as well. Fingers crossed.

No comments: