Monday, November 10, 2008

Andre Rieu Gave Me a Signed Picture


On my way home from the city today, I heard the 'Bananas in Pyjamas' tune coming from Fed Square. I am glad that I went over to check out what was happening because I got to see Andre Rieu practising with his orchestra on stage. At the end of his practise session, he hung around to greet his fans. I deeply regretted not bringing my camera because I was so close to him. Seeing other people asking for autographs, including a mum who was not happy with the autograph her young son received, I wondered if I should do the same. I didn't have anything for him to sign though. It would be rather weird to ask him to sign a Montessori book in my bag! Then he reached into his pocket and took out a stack of pictures. His assistant handed him a silver marker so he could autograph them before handing them out. The man was not only warm and friendly, he even gave each recipient a few seconds of his time. Ok, here is another little secret about me. I have trouble giving and maintaining eye contact and was about to chicken out when he saw me. After signing the picture, he looked me straight into my eyes and smiled as he handed it to me. I put on my very best smile and thank him, in return. Trust me, that was a very big effort on my part!

I am of course over the moon that I got to see him play and I got to 'meet' him even though it was only for a brief few seconds. When he popped in at ABC a few days ago, I thought the closest I could get to him was to share the air of my 'neighbourhood'. LOL. Unfortunately, my worries about the current financial crisis and not knowing what will happen next meant that I will not be going to his concert even though it is right here in Melbourne. That really is a shame! I still really want to go!

No comments: