Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dreaming of My Guinea Pig

I must say that it was wonderful that my Guinea Pig turned up in one of my dreams overnight even though I don’t quite understand the full story. At the start of the dream, my Guinea Pig sat very still with his back facing the water bottle. I was standing next to the cage discussing burial arrangement for him with M. My Guinea Pig blinked when I looked down at him and because of where I was standing, it looked like he winked at me. LOL. So, I reached in to pat him on his forehead and left cheek. The thought of not burying him alive came over me as I patted him. Just before he ran off to his bowl, I told M about this cremation service in Geelong where pets owners are welcomed to witness the cremation process. When I turned to look at my Guinea Pig again, he was at his bowl munching on some dry food. I asked if he would like a bit of carrot and he looked at me. Instead of getting him a bit of carrot right away, I went to our pantry cupboard to get him Lucerne Pellets of all things! (He wasn’t very fond of Lucerne Pellets.) Just as in the past, my Guinea Pig heard the cupboard’s door and ran straight back to the corner near his water bottle to wait for me. He stood up eagerly to see what I got for him. I placed some of the awful but healthy Lucerne Pellets into his bowl and he went over to have a look but walked away promptly. LOL. Not really interested with what I got him, he went burrowing under all the fresh hay. It was then that I went to get him a bit of carrot and he was very happy after that. I am not sure if that was the end of the dream. I probably turned in my sleep and if I did, I usually start dreaming of something else.

It was wonderful to ‘see’ him so happy and lively but the dream wasn’t very accurate. M and I almost never discussed burial/funeral arrangements for our Guinea Pig when he was alive. Our Guinea Pig was going to be a mascot. He was going to be a star in our major project. To us or to me to be more exact, my Guinea Pig was to live very long. The subject did come up briefly when we gave him his last bath. I suggested to M that we ought to raise or set aside some funds for this purpose and M agreed wholeheartedly but we never expected for him to go so soon. As for the pets’ cremation service in Geelong, I only read bits about it online in late July or early August.

Mh spoke to a relative on the telephone about a week or so ago. This Aunt is dear to the both of us because she had always been very nice. If anyone asks me an example of the ‘Australian’ value of giving someone a fair go, I will definitely mention how accepting and welcoming this aunt has always been. She reaches out to me even when I pull away. Anyway, she had recently found out about the passing of our beloved Guinea Pig. She passed on her condolences over the phone and revealed how she likes receiving our hand-made Christmas cards starring our Guinea Pig and his friend Koala each year. She also casually asked M what we would do with this year’s Christmas cards. M pretended that he didn’t know what I had planned this time. I have indeed planned for it already but we would like to keep the idea under wraps for now. I am super chuffed to learn of another person out there enjoying the cards and looking forward to see what we have in store next. Our Guinea Pig was happy to pose for photos but little did he know of the Christmas cheers that he and his friend Koala brought to a few households around the world.


No comments: